Who: Dabney Hailey
VISUAL THINKING STRATEGIES and AGILE TEAM PRINCIPLES
Studies on VTS show that it:
- Enhances skills in observation, critical thinking, and collaboration,
- Increases the value team members place on communication, and
- Increases comfort with ambiguity, which is key to preventing premature decisions in the face of complex problems.
VTS cultivates capacities vital to successful agile environments, within which everyone is accountable and focused, adaptable and creative, secure and open.
VTS is a dynamic, stimulating process. During this introduction, you will experience specific techniques that
- Create a psychologically safe yet rigorous discussion environment;
- Use carefully phrased, open-ended questions to steward conversation;
- Enable everyone to speak and listen, to hear and feel heard;
- Test ideas through evidence-based reasoning and respectful disagreement;
- Encourage participants to hold multiple perspectives and recognize biases; and
- Foster experimentation and the integration of failure into working processes.
We will connect these actions and the learning mindset they embody to core agile principles and your own, ongoing work. We’ll also consider applications of the VTS method and core techniques within agile software development and team organization. And we’ll do all this while analyzing powerful, beautiful works of art!
To learn more about Visual Thinking Strategies workshops in the business world, see www.haileygroup.com
To learn more about the origins and practice of Visual Thinking Strategies within education and museums, see the book, Philip Yenawine, Visual Thinking Strategies: Using Art to Deepen Learning Across School Disciplines (Harvard, 2013).
About Dabney Hailey
Dabney Hailey is a management consultant, curator, and educator. She is a pioneer in the innovative use of the art-based facilitation method, Visual Thinking Strategies (VTS), as managerial and team-building tool within commercial enterprises and nonprofit organizations.She leads VTS discussions and trained facilitators in a range of contexts (businesses, museums, universities, and the medical world) , doing so since 2001. The founder and principal of Hailey Consulting Group, her client list includes well-known organizations actively pursuing higher levels of agility : Harvard Business School, Fidelity Investments, Omgeo, and many smaller businesses and nonprofits.Hailey is also an established curator, writer, and educator specializing in modern and contemporary art with over 15 years’ experience in museums and education. Learn more and contact Dabney at www.haileygroup.com.